Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

On 09/02/2021 12:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What you meant was CO2 and 2 x H20 in and CH4Â* and O4 out....

That's one way. The point being we have centuries experience of
transporting hydrocarbons against a few weeks of grappling with the pixie
dust that are renewables.

There's all-sorts of processes you *can* use for syngas/synfuel, germans
did it in the war, fine for no expense spared military use.

they used coal as the starting point.
SASOL did it during S African embargo as well

Town gas/water gas/producer gas/co9al gas are all coal- flammable gas
products.

But unless we are awash with "spare" electricity, then grabbing CO2 out
of the air adding water and turning it into methane looks wasteful, as
opposed to a great way of turning electricity into burny chemicals.

That entirely depends.

Liquid hydrocarbons, given the abundance of atmospheric oxygen, are a
great way to store energy.

If the price of fossil fuel exceeds the price of synthetic hydrocarbons
due to scarcity of fossil and inevitability of nuclear power, then it
makes total sense to fly your planes off them. And use off peak nuclear
power to make them

Its all about getting nuclear power down to a sort of 2p a unit cost
that it is in fact capable of.

If you rewrote the regulations.

even at 50% efficiency that's 40p a litre for SynJet„¢ :-)

Look I have been over all the solutions many times and the only one that
begins to make sense is a mixture of nuclear, (pumped) hydro, and
synthetic fuels. Fossil wont last forever, but there's thousands of
years of fertile heavy metals out there for nuclear power.

All these other solutions are reworking of mediaeval technology that was
abandoned years ago because its crap.

The only new technology is solar panels. But without uber cheap storage
its pretty ****ing useless.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal