Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Coming to a smart meter near you...

On 09/02/2021 12:37, Theo wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
The kind of device suitable for switching off to balance load would be
an EV charger and a heat pump, both of which will need new wiring back
to the consumer unit. The only other kind I can think of would be an
immersion heater. And perhaps the off-peak circuit if there are storage
heaters; but these are on a separate circuit anyway and probably won't
need switching off as they are on at, um, off-peak times.

I'm thinking of things like refrigeration - there's enough thermal mass in
the fridge/freezer that it'll hold temperature for several hours if the door
isn't opened. So you can tell it not to run the compressor during peak
demand, as long as the temperature stays within acceptable limits. Over the
fleet of millions of fridges, that adds up. I think supermarkets with their
substantial chiller fleets are already doing this.

What if the freezer doesn't turn back on again and you come back from
holiday to soggy food? Who will be responsible for this? The energy company?

--
Max Demian