Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kerosene vs diesel

On 09/02/2021 11:33, fred wrote:
Streuth. High price to pay for peace of mind. I think I'll fit a
sight gauge. We had a transmitter device fitted but it was unreliable
and I choked at what they charge for a replacement battery.

They are still of limited range but now run off a lithium cell you can
buy for less than a quid.

The problem is that replacing them usually results in a watertight seal
being badly remade, and that's the end of the unit

( couple
of pen cells in a length of copper pipe). At present we use a simple
dial gauge operated by a float on a length of string. To memory these
can stick requiring a few taps to correct then so its back to a dip
stick unless someone can offer a better alternative

Definitely a case for a raspberry Pi !

The echo sounding bit of the oil gauge works OK. Its the RF link that is
unreliable, and the design that puts the battery in the same watertight
space as the electronics.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman