Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Coming to a smart meter near you...

On 09/02/2021 12:12, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/02/2021 07:47, Tim+ wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
On 08/02/2021 16:41, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 08/02/2021 16:26, Jethro_uk wrote:

what will they do about people with dumb meters ?

You seem to have missed this in the text you snipped:
Under the plans all homes would need to have a third generation smart
meter installed, to include a function that allows meters in the
home to
receive and carry out orders made by the energy networks.
/q

Its going to need more than a smart meter to carry out these
orders.Â* All
power switchable appliances would have to be retro-fitted with smart
switches to enable this.Â* I dont see this happening any time soon.

All they need is two circuits, one that the SMETS3 can switch off. After
all, that's how Economy 7 works.

Well I deliberately *didnt* mention rewriting every house in the country
as it seemed an even more absurd suggestion.Â* Fitting smart switches to
devices would be easily doable and cheap (not that I believe that this
will
happen).

The kind of device suitable for switching off to balance load would be
an EV charger and a heat pump, both of which will need new wiring back
to the consumer unit. The only other kind I can think of would be an
immersion heater. And perhaps the off-peak circuit if there are storage
heaters; but these are on a separate circuit anyway and probably won't
need switching off as they are on at, um, off-peak times.

More here, including the responses to the original 2019 document -

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...smart-charging