Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kerosene vs diesel

On 09/02/2021 11:33, fred wrote:
On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 5:00:03 PM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Streuth. High price to pay for peace of mind.

There was a time when it was the only way to get fuel up to an oil
burner that was significantly higher than the fuel tank.

I think I'll fit a sight gauge. We had a transmitter device fitted
but it was unreliable and I choked at what they charge for a
replacement battery. ( couple of pen cells in a length of copper
pipe). At present we use a simple dial gauge operated by a float on a
length of string. To memory these can stick requiring a few taps to
correct then so its back to a dip stick unless someone can offer a
better alternative

You can find a YouTube on how to swap the battery out on the old
Watchman transmitter. Mine works the same way. It was reliable here
unless the weather was exceptionally foul when it would sometimes show
"r". (for out of range) LED flashes when it is time to reorder oil too.

I'd never go back to a sight gauge. The valve invariably sticks. The
ultrasonic level sensors are the way forwards now. The new generation
accept a coin cell in the sensor - reviews on Amazon are mixed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watchman-So...dp/B0032Q8Q64/

I suspect some of the 1* and 2* reviews are not by competent DIYers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown