Dan Hartung

Default Laser levels

Robert Barr wrote:
Have you searched for any similar projects on Usenet? Not too long ago
I saw a website detailing some guy's efforts at restoring a really out -
of - square building. Pretty interesting approach. Not that you'd
have to use his techniques, but it could plant some fresh ideas.

Yeah, there's quite a few barn restorations on the web (fewer with
pictures, alas). The tricky part is bracing for corner post replacement.
If you have any more hints on that article, though ...

With the geometry involved here, I'd be tempted to pick up a used
surveyor's theodolite. Sell it when you're done.

That's a great idea. My dad actually happens to have one (historic
collectible, not sure I'd want to use it for this, nor do I know if it's
100% working).

Why bother with lasers at all? You'll still need to measure distances
manually, either way.

I have one of those 'Strait Line' lasers, and on the package, they
mention "Accuracy: +/- 1/2" at 20 feet". 1 part in 40. Now THAT'S
impressive! Extrapolated over the kind of distances you're working
with, and you could match that precision by throwing darts!

Bleagh! Well, that's the kind of thing I'm finding. Very disappointing.
The hype suggests they're so good they do your laundry too.

With the kind of expenses you're looking at, you want precision. I know
which way I'd go: I'd pick up good used equipment, and sell it
afterward. Consider any difference as the equivalent of rent on the gear.

Sounds like a fun project, except for the expenses...

Yeah, it's a challenge ... I wish we had the money to do it right, but
I've been around historic preservationists all my life, and I've seen
buildings almost as bad get turned into swank living spaces. In some
cases, though, it took decades!

(My favorite would have to be the old farmhouse out in the country that
was being restored sort of one room at a time. The sophisticated owners
had a wine party that was elegant except for the plastic sheeting
defining the bathroom, and the room with no floor, marked off only with
string. In those days caution tape hadn't been invented ...)