Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

On 08/02/2021 11:03, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 08/02/2021 09:58, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/02/2021 08:42, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Anyone convinced?

Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

Engineers explore using gentle slopes rather than steep dams or
mountains to store electricity

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ergy-batteries

Â*RheEnergise is bringing innovation to pumped hydro storage. We call
our new solution High-Density Hydro „¢.

HD Hydro „¢ uses our proprietary HD Fluid R-19 „¢, which has 2.5x the
density of water. R-19 gives RheEnergise projects 2.5x the power and
2.5x the energy when compared to water.

https://www.rheenergise.com/

I wonder what their proprietary HD Fluid R-19 „¢ actually is?

Snake oil. You would need to manufacture and handle it in enormous
quantities to store enough energy to be worthwhile. Liquid bromine is
the first thing that springs to mind with about that density. But it
doesn't match the non-reactive/non-corrosive tags.

Gallium would be even better nearly 6x the denisty of water and melts
at about 40C. Relatively benign otherwise.

They claim: Our innovative fluid R-19 TM is environmentally benign
and has been engineered to be non-reactive and non-corrosive.

Â*Â*R-19 TM is an odd choice of name for a eco ******** product.

It signifies hazardous risk of forming organic peroxides in chemistry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R-phrases#R19

Go the whole hog and use Mercury.

Current annual production, 4000 tonnes or 300 cubic metres.