TURTLE

Default Furnace efficiency

"Halvey" wrote in message
Hi. Getting bids for a new gas furnace in the house (don't need AC).
We got a couple bids, and they all gave them for the 80% efficient
furnaces, not the 90%+ efficient ones. They said that we wouldn't
recoup the cost of the more efficient one through utility savings over
the lifetime of the unit, and that the 80% efficient one has very few
moving parts, and thus has less need for repair and maintenance, whereas
the high efficiency ones (some claim 97%) are far more complicated, and
thus more susceptible to breakages/misalignments/etc. Furnace brands
were Bryant and Trane.

Can anybody speak to any of these issues, or share about their decision
in a similar situation? Also, the local gas company offers a $200
rebate and a $350 tax credit to get a 90% efficient unit.

Thanks,

This is Turtle.

If you live in Oregon the 90%+ AFUE will pay for it'self if the installer don't
kill you on the installation cost.

If you live in the Southern states where you don't use much heat. The 90%+ AFUE
will usely not pay for it'self.

TURTLE

---