Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Television Production

On 08/02/2021 13:59, charles wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:
Caecilius wrote:

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 18:21:33 GMT, JohnP wrote:

A couple of things intrugue me about TV production:

[snip]

2. When cutting from one scene (in a drama) do they often cut to the
new sound - ahead of the picture? I suppose it is for some artistic
reason - but I can't appreciate it.

It's a video/film editing technique called a "J cut". See he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_cut

I believe on traditional film, the sound signal is displaced from the
image, as it needs to run smoothly whilst the image jerks through the
gate.

Since the early 1960s film runs smoothly thhrough the gate. The light
source is pulsed on. Couldn't do that with carbon arcs, but they are no
longer used.

Probably still had the sound and vision displaced though, to allow old
and new films to play interchangeably on old and new projectors.