Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

I don't think they are disputing that, its the actual mas vs volume that
they are talking about.
Everything I know that is heavy is certainly not benign, so what exactly
is it?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article , S
wrote:
On 08/02/2021 08:42, polygonum_on_google wrote:
Anyone convinced?

Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

Engineers explore using gentle slopes rather than steep dams or
mountains to store electricity

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ergy-batteries

RheEnergise is bringing innovation to pumped hydro storage. We call our
new solution High-Density Hydro .

HD Hydro uses our proprietary HD Fluid R-19 , which has 2.5x the
density of water. R-19 gives RheEnergise projects 2.5x the power and
2.5x the energy when compared to water.

https://www.rheenergise.com/

I wonder what their proprietary HD Fluid R-19 actually is?

They claim: Our innovative fluid R-19 TM is environmentally benign and
has been engineered to be non-reactive and non-corrosive.

I expect they say its because of PE = m.g.h

where PE is Potential energy = mass x value of gravity x hieght.

So by increasing the mass by 2.5x, you then get 2.5 x the PE.

But you've had to expend 2.5 the amount of power to get it up hill first.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England