Joseph Meehan

Default Furnace efficiency

Halvey wrote:
Hi. Getting bids for a new gas furnace in the house (don't need AC).
We got a couple bids, and they all gave them for the 80% efficient
furnaces, not the 90%+ efficient ones. They said that we wouldn't
recoup the cost of the more efficient one through utility savings
over the lifetime of the unit, and that the 80% efficient one has
very few moving parts, and thus has less need for repair and
maintenance, whereas the high efficiency ones (some claim 97%) are
far more complicated, and thus more susceptible to
breakages/misalignments/etc. Furnace brands were Bryant and Trane.

Can anybody speak to any of these issues, or share about their
decision in a similar situation? Also, the local gas company offers
a $200 rebate and a $350 tax credit to get a 90% efficient unit.

Thanks,

I would go for the 95% one. They are solid engineering now and I
believe have the lowest lifetime cost.

You did not say where you are, but have you considered A/C at the same
time?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math