Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Three phase wiring

On 07/02/2021 14:17, Robin wrote:
On 07/02/2021 13:28, ARW wrote:
On 07/02/2021 12:49, Robin wrote:
On 07/02/2021 12:36, ARW wrote:
On 07/02/2021 11:27, Robin wrote:

TLC sell up to 6mm 3-core NYY-J by the meter

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/NY6slash3.html

Yes but he also needs and earth and neutral:-)

D'Oh!

(I'd thought "with the 18th an EV charger he might well need a local
earth rod anyway so..." but then went full prat.)

The single phase unit I fitted at a school had a local earth rod. I
still had to export the house earth to protect the cable and isolate
it inside the charger.

Would you have needed to export the earth if not using SWA - eg where
the cable ran inside a house, under the floor? (Purely academic question
for me in a terraced house with no off-street parking.Â* Unless they
allow consumers to be inventive - eg a swing arm derrick across the
pavement.)

That is a good question as any short (lets assume you ran 4 core NYY-J
cable) would be LL or LN and thus trip the head end MCB. A totally
different thing to me using SWA.

I'll have to ask my contracts manager that one.

I suspect that you might not need to export and then isolate an earth.
After all if the car charging point was at the other side of the wall to
the CU I would not bother.

--
Adam