Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Three phase wiring

On 07/02/2021 13:35, Andrew wrote:
On 07/02/2021 13:28, ARW wrote:
On 07/02/2021 12:49, Robin wrote:
On 07/02/2021 12:36, ARW wrote:
On 07/02/2021 11:27, Robin wrote:

TLC sell up to 6mm 3-core NYY-J by the meter

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/NY6slash3.html

Yes but he also needs and earth and neutral:-)

D'Oh!

(I'd thought "with the 18th an EV charger he might well need a local
earth rod anyway so..." but then went full prat.)

The single phase unit I fitted at a school had a local earth rod. I
still had to export the house earth to protect the cable and isolate
it inside the charger.

The neutral I believe had two purposes. One is to allow you to charge
a non three phase EV and the other is to provide 230V for the control
gear/interface on the charger.

Does that mean you connected the SWA braid to the house earth (which
seems to make sense) ?. If so, what is the earth connector in the
cable connected to ?.

Yes, SWA braid connected up at head end and at the charger end it went
into SWA gland inside a plastic box and no further. The charger had a
local earth rod.

--
Adam