Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Kerosene vs diesel

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 11:29:33 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/02/2021 10:30, fred wrote:
Our oil burner was recently converted from diesel to kerosene. Due to
a faulty level gauge the tank ran dry. By mistake I threw a couple
of gallons of red diesel into the tank. I can get some kerosene from
a local filling station. How much kerosene might I need to dilute the
red diesel? What damage might burning red diesel do to a kerosene
system. ( I wasn't here when the burner was converted but I imagined
it only involved changing he injector/nozzle.

Compared to running the sludgy sediment and junk in the dregs of an oil
tank through the injector almost none. Adding enough of it to avoid
running dry again before your next oil delivery would be my suggestion.

Also allow it a little time for it to settle again after adding the
fuel before firing the boiler again. The injector really doesn't get on
with a suspension of fine particles.

I expect red diesel will burn with a slightly sootier flame but not by
all that much so I wouldn't be unduly worried about that. Running the
main tank dry though is bad for the injector unless you have a secondary
feed oil tank like my heating system does.
Sods law. These problems only occur at the weekend when service isn't
available never mind a refill of the tank

And just as bad weather and deep snow hampers deliveries too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

" a secondary feed oil tank" ? Tell me more. Does it automatically kick in when needed ?