Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kerosene vs diesel

On 07/02/2021 10:30, fred wrote:
Our oil burner was recently converted from diesel to kerosene. Due to a faulty level gauge the tank ran dry. By mistake I threw a couple of gallons of red diesel into the tank. I can get some kerosene from a local filling station. How much kerosene might I need to dilute the red diesel?
What damage might burning red diesel do to a kerosene system. ( I wasn't here when the burner was converted but I imagined it only involved changing he injector/nozzle.

Sods law. These problems only occur at the weekend when service isn't available never mind a refill of the tank

They are almost identical. I believe kerosene is slightly lighter and
doesn't contain so many additives as red diesel or road diesel.
If its a pressure fed boiler rather than a gravity fed AGA etc I
shouldn't worry.

You may need a new jet after a year or so on it.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain