Robert Barr

Default Laser levels

Have you searched for any similar projects on Usenet? Not too long ago
I saw a website detailing some guy's efforts at restoring a really out -
of - square building. Pretty interesting approach. Not that you'd
have to use his techniques, but it could plant some fresh ideas.

With the geometry involved here, I'd be tempted to pick up a used
surveyor's theodolite. Sell it when you're done.

Why bother with lasers at all? You'll still need to measure distances
manually, either way.

I have one of those 'Strait Line' lasers, and on the package, they
mention "Accuracy: +/- 1/2" at 20 feet". 1 part in 40. Now THAT'S
impressive! Extrapolated over the kind of distances you're working
with, and you could match that precision by throwing darts!

With the kind of expenses you're looking at, you want precision. I know
which way I'd go: I'd pick up good used equipment, and sell it
afterward. Consider any difference as the equivalent of rent on the gear.

Sounds like a fun project, except for the expenses...

Dan Hartung wrote:
Another barn question. I have a two-story city barn with a sagging wall,
and I would like to first determine the amount of sag, the amount of
tilt, and any other out-of-square, out-of-level conditions, before
proceeding with any remediation. Ultimately this may include replacement
of corner posts, sill plates, and repair of a foundation. I'd like to do
as much of this work myself as possible.

From reviews such as Amazon, I find that the consumer-priced laser
levels are said useful mainly for things like shelving, as they project
a line on a flat surface.

I would like to use a laser level for this job, but would it help? Would
I have to buy a pro tool that costs hundreds of dollars to be of use? Am
I stuck using squares, bubble levels, plumb bobs, chalk lines, and other
tools?