Chris Lewis

Default 110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner

According to m Ransley :
Is Chris Lewis stating 240 wire- line is more efficient than 120.
There is less line loss.?

Absolutely. Given the same wiresize, the same power delivery loses
four times as much in line losses at 120V as it does at 240V.

Remember that most circuits we're dealing with are already at the minimum
permissible wiresize, so going to 240V won't save anything in copper.

I'd be the first to suggest that the efficiency difference is minimal,
and almost never worth worrying about. But when someone _is_ in a position
to make the choice, they should get the full answer so they can make
an informed choice.

I find that impossible to beleive or we
would give ourselves the option of converting and getting all 240
inhouse as Europe is.

Every country has to answer for themselves what compromises they want to
make - cost, safety, taking into account user patterns, history and so on.

Switching to 240V, for example, would likely end the use of edison base
lamps and full rewiring of existing houses. Imagine how much _that_
would cost....
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est