Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to remove/fix this threaded spigot?

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/02/2021 16:56, JohnP wrote:
Kal Ico wrote in
:

I have a small air compressor and one of the fittings to the air tank
has sheared off. You can see it he

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w44v8jSG2noBKVHv5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xAaN8WTswVh6wuCQ6

Can anyone recommend the best way to get the old bit out and suggest
how to repair/re-thread so I can use it again?

Thans.

Stud Extractor

+1

Is that some sort of goo providing an additional seal? Is it hard or soft?
Either way, I think I would attack it gently with a wood-working chisel to
try to chip or prise as much away from the interface as possible, as it
will be contributing to the removal torque. Ideally I'd try to make the
thread interface visible, and soak it with some sort of penetrating oil.

That won't work if goo has been used.

Heat might help.

The very last thing you want to do is apply so much torque that you damage
the boss or the threads.

But the boss can be held with a vice grip.

Remember that a stud extractor tends to expand the male part, making it
tighter.

But its the only way to get a decent grip
on what needs to be removed now.