Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Need a roller for sliding glass door

On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 01:21:59 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

ONe of the rollers on my sliding glass door seems to have failed.

It's tipped to one end, but the door still rolls easily. How strange.

Is the maker of the door written anywhere on the door? Inside the
handle? On the glass?

Is there any decent way to buy a replacement roller or assembly *before*
I take the door out? Otherwise, I either have to take it out twice,
leave the house wide open while I go to the store, or find someone to
house sit. That's assuming they sell it locally.

What are the odds they sell it locally?

The house and door are 41 years old. The frame is aluminum. Glass
thermopane. Does that help?

Do many of the roller assemblies for sale all fit in one kind of door?
Maybe based only on the thickness of the door, which is usually the
same?

Would you do this alone if you were 74, fat, and hadn't been to the gym
in a long time? I took it out once 35 years ago and it suprised me by
trying to kick out from the bottom while I was holding it at the top.
This time I'll be prepared for that, but I'm 35 years older.

I did the moving part of each door last time. This is the narrower one.

I watched a couple videos. Swisco wants me to send them multiple
pictures and measurements and a description.
https://www.swisco.com/blog/2020/11/0...?

Ai-yai-yai:
https://www.swisco.com/cl/Patio-Glas...-Wheel-Rollers

Micky, I had the same problem years ago. Contact a glass co near you or maybe
they will want a pix. They came out with (no pix) two men and replaced the
roller and straightened the lower guide. About 45 minutes & $75. I think the
kids have taken over the biz so I think the prices have gone up but they are
busy as heck.
Good luck.

--
Tekkie