Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default The saga of my new smart meters

On 04/02/2021 14:13, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 13:55:42 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

The only advantage smart meter give is to a supplier who wants to cut
you off remotely.
There is no other advantage to anyone else whatsoever.

Nope. They enable variable tariffs (as in, varying every 30 minutes)
that cant be implemented any other way.
These can be an advantage to some users.

For now.

The octopus agile tariff increasingly frequently hits the punitive
35p/unit at peak times, and their average 24h price often exceeds my
all-day rate ... I expect the advantage will continue to be eroded.

As soon as the little man can leverage this to their advantage, it'll be
disappeared.

Many years ago I was chatting to someone from the Dot about LPG
conversion for cars - which could save a lot of money if you could spare
the tank. He said that obviously the moment enough drivers switched, the
duty would rocket (and he was surprised if anyone thought otherwise).

Luckily, for various reasons, LPG cars never became a thing. But they
were certainly plugged with grants for conversions.

You cannot take a vehicle with retro-fitted LPG through the
Channel Tunnel.