Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default The saga of my new smart meters

On 04/02/2021 13:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

The only advantage smart meter give is to a supplier who wants to cut
you
off remotely.
There is no other advantage to anyone else whatsoever.

Nope. They enable variable tariffs (as in, varying every 30 minutes) that
cant be implemented any other way.
These can be an advantage to some users.

For now.

The octopus agile tariff increasingly frequently hits the punitive
35p/unit at peak times, and their average 24h price often exceeds my
all-day rate ... I expect the advantage will continue to be eroded.

Some people can avoid most of the 39p/unit periods. I used to
leave the house at 06:45 and not get back until 19:30 so that
sort of tarriff would have suited me.