Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default The saga of my new smart meters

On 04/02/2021 09:51, Chris Green wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
It is not for the blind of course, but as yet no meters have come. I only
have electricity too. The message in my last post to this thread was mostly
gleaned from others who did manage to get smart meters installed. Apparently
in a couple of years the existing main and economy 7 meters will be at end
of life and will need refurbishing, and I suspect that will be when I will
get offered the great smart meter with talking had controller that eats
batteries.

We have economy 7 with a meter that has supposedly reached end of
life. We've had a few tries by our suppliers to change the meter but
they've been pretty half-hearted. I suspect that as we're electricity
only and mobile coverage is pretty bad here they're not desperate to
do it anyway.

With less and less 'spare' leccy at night as coal powerstations
get the chop, people on economy7 might be cutting into their
margins, assuming that there is a profit margin on an E7
tarriff these days.