Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Need a roller for sliding glass door

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 09:31:00 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Intesting stuff snipped to save space.

In the past I got furnace and AC parts and even an identical bathroom
sink to replace mine that got chipped, by noticing when neighbors with
identical houses got new furnaces or AC or a sink, and I used several of
the parts, but I've never seen say, a sliding door frame with broken
glass but good rollers. If I had I would have taken the rollers.

Since I got 13 of the doors when building the house, the
manufacturer gave me a box of spare rollers and locks.

Seems fair.

This is s jerry-built house, with only the first sprayed coat of paint,
and the first owner I bought it from had painted some more, but he was
terrible. He'd touch up flat paint with semi-gloss in a couple places,
and he painted a couple of the interior plastic doorknobs.

He did save and give me all the paperwork and surprisingly to me that
included "instructions" for the doorknobs that the builder had put in .

With that I was able to find the same doorknobs for sale, at only one
place in Baltimore. (It wasn't a big chain and it was on the far side
of town. I don't know how I found it without a computer or making a lot
of calls or writing to the manufacturer but I did.) I just wanted two,
but he urged me to take his whole remaining box for maybe $5. They were
taking up too much space for him.

So that's all I've got in terms of replacment parts, and door knobs
dont' wear out anyhow.

He was cold all the time and he also caulked terribly, no straight lines
of even width. I trimmed out all of the excess, but of course now the
trim lines are flat in places, not rounded. He moved back to Louisiana
where it was warm enough for him. He worked for Social Security, HQed
in Baltimore and they found him a job at the branch in La.

He also put in another layer or wall on 3 walls of the main bedroom, to
keep warm. He did a pretty good job on that, including lining the
closet with cork and then sheetrock**, but he covered over the phone
jack. I didn't khow where it was so I ran another one. **Either he
didn't want to hear the neighbors or he didn't want them to hear him.