Julie

Default Funky phone line problem

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...

What's a hot call box? If you unplug the modem & this hot call box

thingie do
you get dial tone? Modems blow in electrical storms...
--
Tekkie

A hot call box is a box that rings if there's an incoming call when you're
on-line. It's cheaper than getting a second line and requires only call
waiting. Thus the telephone and modem are sharing the same line. But I
don't get a dial tone on either the phone or the modem (and I'm able to get
on-line; at this moment I'm just doing so with a lightning fast 19.2k
connection). It's just that every so often the dial tone goes away
completely, only to return when some unwitting good samaritan happens to
call us. Or when I send my husband 6 miles round trip to the nearest pay
phone...

Julie