Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Need a roller for sliding glass door

micky wrote

ONe of the rollers on my sliding glass door seems to have failed.

Quite a few of mine have failed, I have 13 massive great patio
doors, all rooms except the bathrooms and toilets have at least
one and only the bathrooms and toilets and kitchens have
normal windows as well.

It's tipped to one end,

Not sure what you mean by that.

but the door still rolls easily. How strange.

Not really if its just moved along under the door.

Is the maker of the door written anywhere on
the door? Inside the handle? On the glass?

Nothing like that on mine.

Is there any decent way to buy a replacement
roller or assembly *before* I take the door out?

Not if you cant identify the manufacturer.

Someone may be able to identify the door if
there is something unusual about it mechanically.

Otherwise, I either have to take it out twice, leave the
house wide open while I go to the store, or find someone
to house sit. That's assuming they sell it locally.

And you may find replacement wheels arent available anymore.

What are the odds they sell it locally?

Impossible to say.

The house and door are 41 years old. The frame
is aluminum. Glass thermopane. Does that help?

Nope, that was very common then.

Do many of the roller assemblies for sale all fit in one kind of door?

Not clear what you are asking there. There are lots of different
roller assemblys even with that particular type of door you have.

Maybe based only on the thickness of
the door, which is usually the same?

Fraid not.

Would you do this alone if you were 74, fat,
and hadn't been to the gym in a long time?

I can just do it myself, but it's a real bugger putting
it back. And I'm roughly the same age, but not fat.
Got a mate of mine to help me with the last one,
the doors are ****ing heavy.

I took it out once 35 years ago and it suprised me by trying
to kick out from the bottom while I was holding it at the top.

Mine don't do that.

This time I'll be prepared for that, but I'm 35 years older.

I did the moving part of each door last time. This is the narrower one.

Mine are the same size for the both the
fixed and moving part, each 4' wide.

I watched a couple videos. Swisco wants me to send them
multiple pictures and measurements and a description.
https://www.swisco.com/blog/2020/11/0...?

Sounds like the best approach.

Ai-yai-yai:
https://www.swisco.com/cl/Patio-Glas...-Wheel-Rollers