Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Abandoned_Trolley Abandoned_Trolley is offline

Default Checking ignition in 1990 Honda Civic Si, 1.6 liter.

On 02/02/2021 20:47, Peter W. wrote:
My instinct tells me that if its got enough fuel to start and run when
its cold (and needs more fuel) then its not likely to be a problem with
the fuel filter.

Patient: 1999 VW Eurovan Camper - VR6 engine. 72,000 miles.
Symptom: Started fine. Ran fine for about 20 minutes or the first hill. After which it would get progressively weaker, then stall.
Spark at start: Good.
Fuel Pressure at start: Good.
Spark hot: Good
Fuel Pressure hot: Poor.
Cause: Clogged fuel filter - OEM to the vehicle, I replaced it in 2012. Specs call for every 50,000 miles.
Action: Replaced the fuel filter. Problem solved.

Apparently, the within fuel filter when cold (not under pressure) contaminants will separate from the element and settle at the bottom of the can. Apparently, this allows enough fuel flow to get the engine started, even running for a while until the element reclogs and restricts flow.

Hence the suggestion.

Peter WIeck
Melrose Park, PA

as I said

Probably of no relevance whatever in this case, but just may be worth
thinking about ...

AT