Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Connecting another phone to a full patch panel

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:40:19 GMT, Scott Lurndal posted for all of us to
digest...

Alan Meyer writes:
Hello,

I have a telephone wiring question.

First, the background. This is where I am now:

There is a primitive looking patch panel in my basement, about 38
years old, to which all my phone wiring is attached. There are
six rows and six columns of pincers in the panel. I believe that
the rows form three pairs. To connect phones to one circuit you
might, for example, connect all of the desired phones (up to six
of them) to the bottom and next to bottom rows of pincers. Up to
six phones can be connected to one phone number line, each pair
of wires from one of the six going to a different pair of
connection pincers on the patch panel.

Sounds like a 66 block.

While it is not recommended, doubling up a pair shouldn't be
a problem. The wires get fragile as they're bent, so watch
for breaks at the 66 block connections.

You can also daisy-chain rows by tieing one row to an empty
row which will expand the number of devices on the line.

+1 You can also (if need be) tweak the contacts with a needle-nose pliers. Be
VERY careful and test prior to doing this it will probably work without the
tweak.

--
Tekkie