Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On 1/31/2021 11:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The best is he's supposedly been a woodworker for 35 years, you'd think
he would be answering the questions rather than asking. Then, he
"builds" a cheesy "workbench" with his credit card... Yuck!

I put *everything* on my credit card. I get 1%-3% back on *everything* I buy.
It just makes financial sense. Helps keep my credit score above 825 too.

My point wasn't using the credit card, it was buying an already made,
piece of crap workbench. Yes, that workbench might satisfy her minimal
needs for a workbench, but at least you could have taught her how to set
screws with a drill, assuming she couldn't figure it out on her own,
which sure isn't rocket science.

Instead, I helped her *build her own workbench*. I'm sure you can understand the difference between someone buying her a folding table and someone helping her build her own workbench.

Of course my point was watching her drive 80 to 100 screws without
spending 30 seconds showing her how to set the clutch and set the last
79 to 99 screws correctly. This I mused bordered on child abuse...

I never mentioned buying her a folding table. If my daughter wanted a
work bench like you bought her, I'd tell her to go to HD or HF and buy
it, put it together yourself. If she wanted to build one, I'd help her
design, and build it herself. I would not stand there whilst she
improperly tightened a hundred screws, particularly since besides
reading directions, it would be about the only skill needed to assemble
the thing.
--
Jack