Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Ice Maker Not Filling

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 8:08:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 23:00:59 +0000, Darlene Bell
wrote:

I have a Samsung RF220NCTASR/AA. It has a bottom freezer with ice maker. No water dispenser. It suddenly stopped making ice. There's no water going into the ice tray. If I manually fill the tray it will freeze, cycle and dump as it should but the tray won't fill again. The fill valve works. When the ice maker cycles it calls the water up and I can catch it in a bucket when I detach the line. There's a heated tube (part DA97-00209T) that goes between the water line and the ice maker and I am guessing it has frozen and needs to be replaced. I can't find anything about how to remove and replace it. In looking at photos of the part it seems to plug directly into the ice maker for power but has no other electrical connection going out. There must be an electrical connection from the ice maker to the fill valve so I'm confused. I can't find any good diagrams of this system or directions or videos of how to replace this. Any help out there?

Sometimes they just ice up and it is usually caused by a slow leak in
the valve. I would use a hair dryer to free it up and see if it is
working again. Then disconnect the water line again and be sure it
turns on and off cleanly with no slow drips. Mine was only icing up
about once a week but I did catch the valve not completely closing
once and I threw another one at it. That fixed the problem.

Could also check the resistance of this heater tube, see if it's some reasonable value.
If it's 20W, that would be about 700 ohms. Testing for voltage at the heater could be
tricky, it may only cycle on periodically. I guess they could even just cycle it on for
5 minutes before each ice cycle.