Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caecilius[_2_] Caecilius[_2_] is offline

Default Choosing a blood glucose meter

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 16:17:47 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 13:46:09 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

I want to monitor my blood glucose as I have a family history of
diabetes and have been diagnosed as early stage prediabetic. My GP says
I don't need to do this and should monitor once per year with a blood
test. I'd rather monitor it myself as well, so I think this counts as
DIY.

I'm confused by the large number of meters & test strips available, and
most articles I read are either marketing puff or clickbait that ends up
talking about what meters do and why its useful, which I know already.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any opinions on a meter that:

a) Is simple & inexpensive (I don't need bluetooth, app integration etc)
b) Is reasonably accurate (I'd hope they all need to meet an accuracy
standard anyway)
c) Has test strips that are reasonably cheap and easily available.

I'll only be measuring a couple of times a day at home, so no need for
"lifestyle" stuff.

For years when I had a medical at work, it would show a high blood sugar
level and I would get a letter to take to the doctors. The test at the
doctors was always normal, because I had to fast 12 hours before the the
dextrose test.....long story short, I was prediabetic and had been for
years, so they eventually decided I was a candidate for type 2 Diabetes. I
control it with a diet very low in carbohydrates 60g and zero sugar.

My problem was picked up by a high fasting glucose reading - it looks
like the energy is there but my body can't use it hence the weight
loss I've been experiencing over the past year.

I've been zero sugar for years, but probably need to start cutting
down on simple carbs as well.

I've also been exercising more over lockdown - walking about 50 miles
per week. GP initially put the weight loss down to the increased
exercise even though I said I was eating like a polar explorer not a
walker in greater London.