Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Choosing a blood glucose meter

On 01/02/2021 16:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Caecilius pretended :
I'm confused by the large number of meters & test strips available,
and most articles I read are either marketing puff or clickbait that
ends up talking about what meters do and why its useful, which I know
already.

Be aware that the test strips have best before dates.

The codefree strips I get have a least a year as a best before date.
This is the unopened pack date. From memory, they recommend using an
opened pack within 6 months.

Codefree come in tubes of 50 strips which for pre-diabetes a couple of
tubes should be enough to establish a glucose pattern and what happens
after diet/exercise changes etc. Afterwards I would expect their use to
be a lot less frequently. The novelty of pricking your finger multiple
times a day rapidly wears off, especially if having been told that you
don't really need to do it

I'm type 2 diabetic and my doctor and diabetic nurse don't necessarily
recommend testing with strips preferring instead to use the bi-annual
blood test to see how well the diabetes is being controlled. One of the
blood tests is much like taking an average value of glucose, over a
couple of months.

Quote:
What is being tested?

Some of the glucose in your blood binds to haemoglobin (the protein that
carries oxygen in your red blood cells). This combination of glucose and
haemoglobin is called haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c). The amount of HbA1c
formed is directly related to the average concentration of glucose in
your bloodstream. Red blood cells live for 2€“3 months, and because of
this, the amount of HbA1c in your blood reflects the average level of
glucose in your blood during the last 2-3 months. If your diabetes is
not well controlled, your blood glucose levels will be high causing
higher HbA1c levels.