Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Volt sticks?

In article , Chris Green
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article , John
Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2021 10:28, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2021 09:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm formulated on Sunday :
I did try some experiments a while back to see if I could trick
it into giving a false reading. I could not get a false negative
out of it, but did manage one false positive - although had to
try hard!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ck_experiments

They are the best thing since sliced bread, if you thoroughly
understand fully their limitations.

I find the "beep" facility quite handy at times - plomp it down
close to a circuit you want to turn off, go to (typically
unlabelled) CU, and turn off MCBs until the bleeping stops!

As I have changed and updated the wiring in our house I have
labelled everything as I go. After 20 years of living here it now
means just about everything is labelled. I have even put little
stickers on the top edge of sockets to indicate which MCB/RCD feeds
them.

Yup good move - you quite often see that in commercial setups - each
socket indicating what circuit/phase/CU its on etc.

Possibly overkill in domestic so long as all the sockets are when you
would expect them to be according to the main CU labels. (e.g. if a
"Downstairs Sockets" label on a MCB accurately identifies everything
that is controlled by it without exceptions).

yesterday I ordered some narrow tape so I could label an 'out of area'
socket.

I have a Dymo Rhine and I use 6mm tapes for the 'top of socket' labels.

I've got 6mm tape on order. (P-Touch)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England