Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Domestic flood defenses

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 01/02/2021 11:18, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 01:52:25 -0800, fred wrote:

Article in Guardian moots lower insurance premiums for those installing
flood defences. Question is what type of flood defences would be most
effective. Blocking widows air vents and doors, yes, but how would one
deal with a rise in the water table?

Surely it's better for the environment to have one scheme protecting
1,000 houses than 1,000 schemes protecting 1,000 houses ?

You say 'surely', as if it were obvious, but I don't think it is. A
metal plate that slides into a housing will protect your front door and
cost maybe £30. Repeat that around the house, and you can probably do a
decent job for a couple of hundred pounds.

Of course, you also have to drive your car to higher ground, so it's
less convenient than protecting the whole area.

Really, we shouldn't be building on flood plains, but we do.

I wouldn't call Bridgenorth a flood plain

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England