Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Garrett Dave Garrett is offline

Default Checking ignition in 1990 Honda Civic Si, 1.6 liter.

In article ,
says...

Hi,

A 1990 Honda Civic Si, 1.6 liter here.

The engine starts fairly easily. It begins to falter as it warms.
After driving for 10-15 minutes it's barely running. If the engine is
shut off or stalls, it won't restart until cooled to ambient.

With an old mechanical distributor I would remove the cap with high
voltage wires all connected. Rotate the crank shaft until points are
closed. With the inside of the cap facing up, place a coin between
the center contact and a spark plug contact, not touching both.
Switch on the ignition. (Not the starter of course.) Then lift the
points open with finger nail or screw driver tip. The spark should be
visible jumping via the coin. The spark at each plug is easily
checked by shifting the coin.

In the Honda distributor, no points are visible and high voltage is
created in a module inside the cap. No external coil as in the old
style ignition.

Can the coin test be done with this type of disributor?

Check the main relay. It is a well-known failure point in Civics/CRXs of
that vintage. I used to have a 90 CRX Si (same engine as the Civic Si),
and went round and round with a local shop replacing all manner of
electrical components until finally discovering that the main relay was
the culprit.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-3/car-starts-
dies-when-warm-2119566/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...91-3/checking-