Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_10_] Cursitor Doom[_10_] is offline

Default MOT Welding Standard

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 13:37:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound laid this down on his screen :
I couldn't use an old fashioned transformer stick welder to save my life, but
I find I can weld thin stuff better with a Lidl inverter MMA than with MIG
gasless.

I first tried stick welding long ago and can make a respectable job on
that, but struggle much more with MIG. The secret with either, seems to
be practice and confidence. An auto-darkening faceshield helps a lot
too.

Think I've tried everything. Was told my welder - a best buy in a hobby
mag - was rubbish. So changed the motor speed controller to a PWM type to
keep the speed consistent at low feed speeds. Did make a very satisfactory
job of welding thicker ally and stainless steel with it, though.

A good starting point would be a high speed motor, PWM-controlled,
coupled up to a suitable gearing system. I've thought about doing this
many times myself to add a MIG facility to my big old Oxford arc
welder. Seems a waste of space and money to buy a dedicated MIG
inverter when there's not that much involved in adding a MIG function
to a MMA welder.