Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On 1/30/2021 2:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2021 11:23 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/30/2021 11:41 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2021 9:42 AM, wrote:

The only thing that stops me from home automation is that they seem to
come out with a new "standard" every year.Â* I once used X-10 but gave
that up long ago.Â* Now it seems like a different app for every device.

Home automation and wireless stuff is col,,,,, until it stops
working. Then you struggle with how to get it all running again.

I have 8 smart plugs on various lamps around the house. All plugs work
on a Kasa app and with Alexia. If they stop working, say you unplug
them or the WiFi goes down, startup is automatic. I like them a lot
because I just tell Alexa what I want, and it happens (usually).

I really like that all the lamps are on timers, so go on and off
automatically, and if away on vacation, the lights go off and on, and
can be controlled from the other side of the world from my cell phone
if I want.

The down side, and after several years this has not happened, is if
the plug or WiFi stops working you will have to unplug each lamp from
the smart plug and plug it directly into the outlet like it was before
smart plug days in order to turn on the lamp. Some of my plugs are not
easy to get to, and would be fun crawling around on the floor with a
flashlight to fix.

Another minor issue is if someone turns off a light manually, later
you'll wonder why the smart plug won't do anything.

And there is the issue of Alexa not working for what ever reason....Â* I
was one of the original owners of the Echo.Â* It does not always work
properly and we have 4 altogether.

I also have a weather app that is WiFi
And it is tied into my sprinkler system, also WiFi.Â* Door Bell/WiFi.
Front door lock/WiFi, garage door opener/ WiFi.Â* My wife's sewing
machine, WiFi.Â* 2 radio's/ WiFi
TV DVR/WiFi.Â* Phones/Wifi.

And when WiFI goes down...... ;~)

My wife's washer is even WiFi. My earphones are WiFi and if you want to
make adjustments say for noise cancellation, you need to use your cell
phone. I have a Fire TV and it has NO nobs, buttons touch screen or any
method of adjusting anything, including turning on or off other than the
WiFi remote. If the remote breaks the only control you have is to pull
the plug.

--
Jack