Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MOT Welding Standard

In article ,
Paul Benton wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 11:34:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Looks like you could grind the welds down a bit more. Do they seem to have
penetrated both bits of steel? Looks don't much matter, but I'd need to be
sure the weld is strong. Covering it up with gobs of underseal is going to
make the tester look far more closely. And rightly so.

That's the main issue with MIG: you can't really tell! The truth is I
just don't know. I've jacked it up and belted it with a club hammer
and it ain't goin' nowhere. HOWEVER, whether it would survive intact
after a smash is another matter altogether. A complete unknown.

I'd try belting a few random globs of weld with a hammer and punch. If
they stay in place, they'll have penetrated.

I'm an expert at really bad welding. Despite practising and even modifying
my MIG to give a better slow speed wire feed, I've never mastered welding
thin stuff.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.