Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default MOT Welding Standard

On 30/01/2021 00:45, Paul Benton wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 22:14:09 +0000, Fredxx
wrote:

His testing is limited:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...-and-corrosion

Identify the important load bearing members and €˜prescribed areas on a
vehicle, then check if they are excessively corroded by:

Visual inspection
Use finger and thumb pressure to assess the extent of the corrosion
If necessary, carefully scrape or lightly tap the affected areas
with the corrosion assessment tool

Use of the corrosion assessment tool must be restricted to ascertaining
that the failure criteria are met and not used for heavy scraping or
poking of the affected areas.

Unbelievable. Just as well you provided a source or I'd have assumed
you were joking.
Dunno what I was worried about, then!

Glad it was of use. I would paint it up or use black goo. Obviously it's
going to look new unless you can make it age, so the repair will be
obvious.

Structural failure is rare where by far the majority of accidents are
down to driver error or misfortune. To be honest visual inspection and
feel are pretty good at gauging corrosion and perforation.

I genuinely don't think a tester would fail your repair. You may wish to
post the same question in
uk.rec.cars.maintenance
as there are some there who don't frequent this group and may have more
experience.

FYI the corrosion assessment tool is a joke. Most testers don't use one
but obviously have one at hand just in case they have a visit from an
inspector.

ISTR back in the day ('70s) they'd use a massive screwdriver and jab
it violently up against any suspect areas, thereby exposing all the
chicken wire and scrunched-up newspapers. Regs must have got relaxed
since then, I guess.

I have only known one instance many, many years ago where a tester
nicely perforated a sill with a screwdriver.