Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default MOT Welding Standard

On 29/01/2021 21:25, Paul Benton wrote:
Hi,

I've been forced to DIY a bit of welding on this old car I'm doing up
for the MOT which involves replacing a jacking point which was badly
rusted. Never having used a MIG before (and don't it show) I made a
bit of a mess of it. Question is, ugly as it undeniably is, would it
make MOT standard as it stands? If not, how about after a couple of
coats of really thick underseal?

https://yadi.sk/a/3JCu11C8848DhQ

I think the key point is whether it is near a suspension point. I assume
of course that you have tested the structural integrity by jacking the
car up to get two wheels off the ground, if it were mine I would
overload it too by opening the nearest door and jumping up and down on
the exposed sill.

My impression is that MOT testers are more cautious than they used to
be, perhaps they are subjected to more random inspections.

*Personally* I would have discussed it with a tester first.