Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default MOT Welding Standard

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 21:25:12 +0000, Paul Benton
wrote:

Hi,

I've been forced to DIY a bit of welding on this old car I'm doing up
for the MOT which involves replacing a jacking point which was badly
rusted. Never having used a MIG before (and don't it show) I made a
bit of a mess of it.

Id say the final result looks reasonably consistent and working
overhand is never easy, even when it's clean metal etc.

Question is, ugly as it undeniably is, would it
make MOT standard as it stands?

I can't see why not. They'll probably give it a few taps with a small
hammer and if it doesn't fall off, say it's ok? ;-)

If not, how about after a couple of
coats of really thick underseal?

I think some of them like to see the repair before you cover it up, if
it's been done 'for' the MOT etc. Not sure if there are any rules that
cover such but coming clean at least removes the element of doubt.

https://yadi.sk/a/3JCu11C8848DhQ

Thanks for reminding me why I built the kitcar and it's nice heavy
duty box steel ladder chassis and fibreglass body. ;-)

Cheers, T i m