Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Marquetry

"Sn!pe" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

"soup" wrote:
On 29/01/2021 16:15, Sn!pe wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

[marquetry and parquetry]

Yes well I remember a card table where the whole of the top was done
like this in a repeating pattern, but as I say, a lot of work and why?
Brian

It is art. Have you no interest in the visual arts?

You are aware of Brian and his ahem difference.

And are you aware of the meaning of the word "remember" ?

IIRR Brian's condition has been subject to gradual deterioration
over a number of years.

In answer to the question why ? In the past, better off people signalled
their status by owning objects which had clearly taken many man hours of
skilled labour to produce.

[...]

The purpose of my response to the original question was to
share that my grandfather was expert in both disciplines.
IMO that sharing was rudely dismissed by:

"Yes well I remember a card table where the whole of the top
was done like this in a repeating pattern, but as I say, a lot of
work and why? -- Brian"

Whatever, that sort of dismissive response is par for the course.
You may deduce from this that Brian and I do not get on.

I've done with this now, if everybody else has?

My post was in response to

a) soup's comment on Brians condition

b) Brian's question as to why anyone would bother. On reflection
my answer didn't answer that question at all - but rather how
marquetry ever caught on as a hobby in the first place. As obviously
marquetry would have already needed to have existed - initially created
by skilled craftsmen for rich patrons - for it subsequently to
have become a hobby for people with increasing lesure time. As to why
anyone should take it up as a hobby the answer seems pretty obvious,
to me at least. There is something to show for all the hours spent
on it at the end; unlike with a lot of other hobbies.

c) I'm sorry. What was your question again ?

michael adams