Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceilings 1970's

Yes, I remember seeing somebody show it was not flamable, it has some stuff
in it that makes it kind of shrivel up and end up like little ball bearings,
but certainly we put it up with thick wallpaper paste and its still up now.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 29/01/2021 09:26, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Friday, 29 January 2021 at 08:37:48 UTC, wrote:
When I moved into my house in 1975 all the ceilings were done with
polystyrene type materia.It was about the same width as a roll of
wallpaper and must have came in rolls. When you look up at it looks like
all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and it is very hard to paint if
ceiling gets dirty from smoke. Does anyone know the name of this
material? I would like to remove it but am afraid to start . Has anyone
ever removed this and is it hard to remove. There is also polystyrene?
coving round the walls as well.

Our bungalow when we moved in had polystyrene coving I have removed it
from all but one room so far. A good scraper easily removes the coving
the harder task is removing the adhesive. With judicious water spraying I
found out that the adhesive will scrape off but it needs a bit of time
spent doing it.

I cannot guess what the ceiling polystyrene is adhered with but it sounds
like the stuff that was pasted on walls before over - papering in an
effort to "insulate" the walls, if it is then likely it will have been
stuck on with wallpaper paste.

I have seen the rolls of very thin polystyrene (about 3mm) just stuck with
normal wallpaper paste.