Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Ceilings 1970's

On 29/01/2021 10:39, charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 29/01/2021 09:26, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Friday, 29 January 2021 at 08:37:48 UTC, wrote:
When I moved into my house in 1975 all the ceilings were done with
polystyrene type materia.It was about the same width as a roll of
wallpaper and must have came in rolls. When you look up at it looks
like all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and it is very hard to paint if
ceiling gets dirty from smoke. Does anyone know the name of this
material? I would like to remove it but am afraid to start . Has
anyone ever removed this and is it hard to remove. There is also
polystyrene? coving round the walls as well.

Our bungalow when we moved in had polystyrene coving I have removed it
from all but one room so far. A good scraper easily removes the coving
the harder task is removing the adhesive. With judicious water spraying
I found out that the adhesive will scrape off but it needs a bit of
time spent doing it.

I cannot guess what the ceiling polystyrene is adhered with but it
sounds like the stuff that was pasted on walls before over - papering
in an effort to €¯insulate€¢ the walls, if it is then likely it will have
been stuck on with wallpaper paste.

I have seen the rolls of very thin polystyrene (about 3mm) just stuck
with normal wallpaper paste.

I'm sure that what I used - but it was over 40 years ago.

Very common in the 1970's. My bedroom in a shared flat had
this stuff all over the walls to 'keep out' penetrating damp
during winter driving rain.

And a paraffin stove for heating ...