Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 01:34:48 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

I think it's those 'get you home' pressurised cans that the tyre
fitters don't like as I'm not sure how easy it is to clean out, if the
tyre could be repaired conventionally.

From what I've hears, nearly all are water based and can simply be
washed out, but fitters tend to use it as an excuse to sell a new tyre.

I'm sure that's part of it as well and maybe more of the modern
get_you_home solutions are *now* water soluble etc? I know many used
latex and I understand that's not 'environmentally friendly' or water
soluble?

The thing I find strange is why people would even be in the position
to have to use one of the get_you_home cans when there is already
something that would deal with such things without all the fuss (and
have other benefits like sealing any porosity and possibly helping
with maintaining the flexibility of the rubber in the tyre).

This is especially so for people who need their vehicles to earn a
living, those with mobility issues or not in a position to change a
wheel themselves (or try to do so on the side of a busy road).

As mentioned, such solutions are sometimes offered to those often
least able to support themselves but I wonder how hard (given your
point above re them earning more money from attending a breakdown and
fitting a new tyre etc).

https://www.tgamobility.co.uk/access...rice-per-wheel

They even have a clever system for injecting the Punctureseal into the
tyre whilst it's fitted to the vehicle and fully inflated. ;-)

https://www.punctureseal.com/mobility-vehicles

Because the solution is quite thick and contains 'matter' that would
potentially block the valve if you tried to push it though it, you
attach the nozzle to the valve, unscrew the valve and withdraw it from
the stem, out of the way and into the 'head' of the filling tool,
apply the suitable dose of sealant and then re fit the valve. ;-)

Cheers, T i m