Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there any restorers of Square Pianos out there in D-I-Y land? (what I should have asked)

That sounds a bit crude. The complexity of the innards of a piano used to
fascinate me. Obviously its not just one string for each note which is
tuned, but I never did get into the way it was all supposed to work.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paul" wrote in message
Hmmm, a badly structured question. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

On 28/01/2021 12:12,
wrote:
A bit of a long-shot but ... is there anyone out there who has restored,
is restoring, or has worked on a 19th century square piano?

It says here, it has to be restored, before it can be tuned.

https://antiquepianoshop.com/square-grand-pianos/

Makes for a cheap instrument :-) Replacing
all the strings, dampers, and degrade-able materials.
I guess you get to keep the original wood.

You could keep the strings and the "untuneable nature",
if you had one of these autotuners. Average operating
power = 800W to keep the piano in precise tune. The
800W represents the amount of heat needed to pull the
piano from initial tuning state, into tune.

https://newatlas.com/gilmore-self-tu...-system/21425/

So rather than rotate a peg to tune the string,
it uses electricity and heat in the string, to
set the frequency.

Paul