Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there any Square Piano restorers out there in D-I-Y land?

Ha. Well I don't know much about tuning pianos, but some people have their
pianos tuned to their signature sound. Listen to any Carole King track where
she plays and it sounds different to how one might think it should. Not
wrong but different.
I guess its easier these days with electronic pianos to get any sound you
like.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"S" wrote in message
On 28/01/2021 13:45,
wrote:
On 28/01/2021 13:37, Graham. wrote:
Wrote in message:
A bit of a long-shot but ... is there anyone out there who has
restored,
is restoring, or has worked on a 19th century square piano?

The problem with square pianos
is they sound a bit flat ;-)

They're sometimes tuned to A415, rather than A440, so that's not
surprising.
Or (attempting to match the humour) ... you'd expect them to be sharp
because of the square corners ;-)

My wife has a upright piano..... which I had got for a song from work....
(literally, it was due to go into the skip and bought it for £21.06 via a
workplace staff auction)

I then paid for a piano tuner to tune it up.

He assessed it by tickling the ivory and proclaimed it as completely
flat...

I said, Its not flat, its a 3 dimensional shape.....