Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Are there any restorers of Square Pianos out there in D-I-Y land?(what I should have asked)

On 28/01/2021 18:46, Graham Harrison wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 16:29:44 +0000, wrote:

Hmmm, a badly structured question. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

On 28/01/2021 12:12,
wrote:
A bit of a long-shot but ... is there anyone out there who has restored,
is restoring, or has worked on a 19th century square piano?

No, but a couple of thoughts:

1) Try contacting local piano tuners; they might know someone. After
all they might have been asked to tune one.
2) If you have a musical museum (even if it's not piano specific)
nearby they might have restored a square piano and be able to offer
advice or point you at someone.
3) I've come across square/straight strung pianos in National Trust
(and other) properties and they have all sorts of experts on call.
4) This is a bit more of a long shot but I wonder if one of the music
colleges (Guildhall, Royal Academy, Royal College in London for
instance) might be able to help?

Thanks, but I'm restoring one myself and wondered if there was anyone
else here to (ahem) exchange notes with. I'm aware of several
professional restorers but that's not what I'm looking for.