Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Fitting carpet - DIY?

On Thursday, 28 January 2021 at 13:42:36 UTC, R D S wrote:
On 28/01/2021 12:38, alan_m wrote:
On 28/01/2021 10:48, R D S wrote:

Quicker, easier, cheaper... Or a better job. The age old conundrum.

This is at work though, I might not be here in 5 years.

Carpets in industrial premises tend to be somewhat different to domestic
carpets especially for areas in corridors where there is high foot
traffic. For domestic, people want a longer softer pile whereas in most
industrial premises or shops it appears to need short hard wearing pile..
Where I've seen carpet being laid in offices it has been 100% glued to
the floor - presumably to stop a thinner product from buckling and
forming a trip hazard.

If I was doing that i'd need to do something with the floor, we're
dealing with old gnarly floorboards.

But it certainly won't be heavy traffic. It's a room I intend for my
office in an upstairs corner where i'm planning to work like a recluse.

I'd consider using carpet tiles. We used some in the downstairs WC - and put down some of the cheap fibre underlay intended for laminate flooring. That smoothed off the floor and made a contribution towards sound and thermal insulation. Lasted many years - and left it in perfectly acceptable state when we moved.