Posted to uk.d-i-y
S[_5_] S[_5_] is offline

Default Are there any Square Piano restorers out there in D-I-Y land?

On 28/01/2021 13:45, wrote:
On 28/01/2021 13:37, Graham. wrote:
Wrote in message:
A bit of a long-shot but ... is there anyone out there who has restored,
is restoring, or has worked on a 19th century square piano?

The problem with square pianos
is they sound a bit flat ;-)

They're sometimes tuned to A415, rather than A440, so that's not
surprising.
Or (attempting to match the humour) ... you'd expect them to be sharp
because of the square corners ;-)

My wife has a upright piano..... which I had got for a song from
work.... (literally, it was due to go into the skip and bought it for
£21.06 via a workplace staff auction)

I then paid for a piano tuner to tune it up.

He assessed it by tickling the ivory and proclaimed it as completely flat...

I said, Its not flat, its a 3 dimensional shape.....