Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

In article , NY writes
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 27/01/2021 11:38, R D S wrote:
On 27/01/2021 11:30, Pancho wrote:
After my last puncture I saw a video on tyre plugs, DIY, rather
than the internal patch that I think some repair shops use.

Local place plug them, but this is too close to the sidewall.

Close to the sidewall can still legally be repaired, but it requires
hot vulcanisation, which most repair places can't offer.

Why is it that most tyres (in my experience) develop punctures close to
the edge of the tread (where they can't be repaired) rather than in the
middle of the tread (where they can be)?

Fort he same reason that every place you look for is always on the fold
of the map.
It's not that I've conveniently forgotten about "the majority" of
punctures which *can* be repaired. Of the various punctures that I've
had over the years, I'd say that about 3/4 have been unrepairable at
the edge of the tread.

That's leaving out punctures in the sidewall - like when an oncoming
tractor pulled onto his wrong side of the road (after previously being
stationary, which I interpreted as "he's seen me and is waiting for me
as he should") and forced me to swerve onto the verge, ripping the
sidewall of a tyre that had about 50 miles use on it: I was not best
pleased at that, and I didn't get his number to claim off him.

--
bert